Tuesday, December 6, 2011

White Knuckles

Fear of flying is a common problem for passengers; more so in the earlier days of flight travel when many travelers would be taking their first flight.

I had a flight with one such passenger.  She was middle-aged, and about to experience her first take-off.  As we were checking seat backs, seat belts, and hand baggage, I noticed her sitting in a window seat looking out at the wing and crying.  I stopped and asked her if she needed anything.

"No, dear, I am just terrified.  I know it makes no sense to you, but I cannot stop myself from feeling afraid for my life."  She put her head down into her clutched tissue and cried a bit harder.

"May I sit with you during take-off?"  I wasn't sure if it was legal for me to be away from my jump-seat, but it seemed important enough to give it a try.

She looked up at me with an astonished expression and asked, "Oh, would you please?  That would be wonderful."

Her row of three seats was empty, so it was an easy thing to do.  I slid into the seat next to her, buckled up, and we held hands as the jet took off.  When the jet rumbled down the runway, accelerating and creaking, she put her tissue over her eyes and her grip on my hand was almost painful.  I wasn't sure she was going to make it without falling to pieces, but she quietly hid her face and held on for dear life.  I can remember trying to make small talk to distract her, but she couldn't even respond.

Then we floated into the air, and could see the lovely lights below.  It was a view of which I never tired, to see the receding lights and stress of civilization as we climbed into the clouds.  She slowly released her grip and gave me a weak smile.

"We're up!" I laughed.

"Thank you, my dear.  I think I will be fine now."  She heaved a sigh of relief and looked a bit more composed than I had expected.

"My pleasure, ma'am.  I will check back with you in awhile, and if you need anyone before that, just push this button and we will know to come and see you."  I pointed out the button on the armrest, her lifeline to relief.

The rest of that flight was uneventful for everyone involved, but I don't think I had ever felt more useful to a passenger.  I am now a physician and often have the opportunity to hold hands with patients who also have fears.  Each time I think of that woman and her brave journey into the unknown.

BDM, London '73







1 comment:

Comments will be approved within 24 hours